HUNTSVILLE – The Sam Houston State men’s basketball team (3-6) looks to turn the page as the Bearkats are set to take on the Colorado State Rams in a 3 p.m. contest on Saturday, Dec. 8, at Moby Arena in Fort Collins, Colo.
Live stats, a live stream
GAME 10 – SHSU (3-6) at Colorado State (4-5)
Date & Time: Saturday, Dec. 8 • 3 p.m.
Location: Fort Collins, Colo.
Site: Moby Arena (8,745)
- Saturday’s game marks Albert Almanza’s 100th appearance in a Bearkat uniform. The senior has made 26 starts over the course of his career. The only other current Bearkat to eclipse the 100-game mark is Josh Delaney, who has seen action in 107 games.
- The only Bearkat to record a double-double this season, junior Kai Mitchell is one of 21 student-athletes in the Southland Conference to boast a double-double this season. He recorded 14 points and 13 rebounds in the Bearkats’ season opener against East Texas Baptist on Nov. 6.
- Senior twins Cameron and Josh Delaney lead the team and tie for ninth in the league with 14 made threes on the season. The brothers average 1.6 three-pointers per game – Cameron leads the pair, shooting 31.8 percent from beyond the three-point arc while Josh boasts a .286 shooting percentage.
- Crashing the boards, both offensively and defensively, junior Kai Mitchell ties for fifth in the Southland Conference with 62 rebounds this season. He has brought in 20 offensive rebounds while tallying 42 boards on defense.
- Averaging 21.7 minutes per game, newcomer RJ Smith leads the Bearkats with a .500 average from behind the three-point arc. Through nine games, he has gone 10-for-20 from the three. Smith also leads the Bearkats with 23 offensive rebounds.
- After averaging 4.1 and 4.3 points per game in his first two seasons with the Bearkats, senior Cameron Delaney leads the squad with 106 points and 11.8 points per game. Delaney has reached double figures six times this season and has eclipsed 20 points twice. He also leads the Bearkats at the free-throw line with 24 made free throws.
- Totaling 340 rebounds so far this season, Sam Houston State ranks second and the conference and ties for 56th in the nation with Longwood and Eastern Michigan. Kai Mitchell leads the squad with 62 rebounds and RJ Smith follows closely behind with 57 on the season.
- Josh Delaney, who has tallied 154 three-pointers over the course of his career, ranks seventh in the Bearkat record books in career threes. He sits 27 made treys away from Derrick Preston (181) in sixth.
- Taking over as Sam Houston’s go-to point guard, junior transfer Chad Bowie ranks sixth in the SLC with 15 steals and seventh in the league with 33 assists.
Colorado State – SHSU leads 1-0
Meeting just once in its series history, Sam Houston holds a 1-0 all-time lead over the Rams. The Two teams met up on Nov. 27, 2010, in Fort Collins, Colo., where Sam Houston ground out a 92-81 road victory in front of 2,556 fans. That victory marked the Bearkats’ third win of the 2010-11 season - Jason Hooten’s first year at the helm.
Tipoff at Moby Arena is slated for 3 p.m. Live stats, as well as a live stream and radio broadcast, will be available for the game. For all the latest information on the Sam Houston State men’s basketball team, visit gobearkats.com or follow @BearkatsMBB on Twitter.