HUNTSVILLE – A scoring clinic put on by the Sam Houston State Bearkats led to the largest margin of win in conference play for the Kats thus far as they took down Southeastern Louisiana.
The 94 points in the win for the Bearkats (10-8, 5-3 SLC) was the most points scored against a conference team since the team scored 97 against North Texas in 1996 in the conference tournament. Additionally, it was the most points scored against a conference team in regular season play since 1995 against Nicholls.
SHSU was led by Jaylonn Walker who put up a career-high 27 points, scoring 20 in the first half alone. Lydia Baxter also played strong, collecting a career-high 20 points along with 14 rebounds that gave her a double-double.
The Bearkat defense put on the pressure and caused 31 turnovers by the Lions (8-11, 3-5 SLC) that led to 37 points for the Kats.
Amber Leggett scored 13 points coming off a career-high scoring game for her late last week and collected five rebounds for the Kats.
A strong scoring game from the Bearkat bench led to 54 points, a season-high for the Bearkat reserves.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Walker went 7-for-9 from the field, leading the Bearkats with 20 points at the end of the half
- Baxter followed by going 5-for-9 from the field, scoring 11 points and collecting seven rebounds
- The Bearkat defense played strong, causing 16 Lion turnovers, ultimately giving the Kats 24 points off turnovers
- The Bearkats played strong off the bench collecting 34 of the 49 points in the half.
- A hot start in the second quarter going on a 10-0 run to get the Kats their first substantial lead of the period
- Baxter picked up her eleventh rebound in the third period to get her eighth double-double of the season
- The Kats offense went on a 6-0 run early in fourth quarter to put the team up by 25
- SHSU scored 14 points in the last six minutes of the game to solidify the win late in the fourth quarter
- The Bearkat defense did not let the Lions within less than 17 points in the second half
The Bearkats take on the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks on Saturday at Johnson Coliseum. Tipoff is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. and it will be aired on ESPN3.