Huntsville - Maddie Mortimore defeated Kylie Reynaud 6-3, 6-1 in the decisive match to bring Sam Houston State a 5-2 victory over Tyler College and the Bearkats' first women's tennis dual match victory of the young 2013 season.
Tanya Postnikova and Kayla Stevenson also won their singles matches at the number five and six positions.
Sam Houston took the doubles point to start the match as Sheridan Currie and Natalie Petaia combined to win at number two doubles in a tiebreaker and Imke Jagau and Stevenson took the number three doubles 8-0.
The Bearkats have played a challenging early schedule that match the squad against Baylor, TCU and Abilene Christian prior to playing the Apaches.
Tennis Match Results
Tyler College vs Sam Houston State
Feb 03, 2013 at Huntsville, Texas
Sam Houston State 5, Tyler College 2
1. Nelo Phiri/Fausthyara Pietersz (TC) def. Nadia Dubyanskaya/Tanya Postnikova (SHSU) 8-4
2. Sheridan Currie/Natalie Petaia (SHSU) def. Alejandra Enderica/Kirsten Pierce (TC) 8-7
3. Imke Jagau/Kayla Stevenson (SHSU) def. Kylie Reynaud/Kerry Wiegand (TC) 8-0
1. Fausthyara Pietersz (TC) def. Imke Jagau (SHSU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Nelo Phiri (TC) def. Sheridan Currie (SHSU) 6-2, 0-6, 7-5
3. Natalie Petaia (SHSU) def. Alejandra Enderica (TC) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7)
4. Maddie Mortimore (SHSU) def. Kylie Reynaud (TC) 6-3, 6-1
5. Tanya Postnikova (SHSU) def. Kirsten Pierce (TC) 6-2, 6-0
6. Kayla Stevenson (SHSU) def. Kerry Wiegand (TC) 6-0, 6-3
Tyler College 1-2
Sam Houston State 1-3