SAN ANTONIO – Posting its first women’s tennis victory over UTSA since 2010, Sam Houston swept to a 6-1 win in a non-conference contest Saturday afternoon in the Alamo City.
The Bearkats won five of the six singles matches with four of the five victories coming in straight sets after taking the doubles point to open play.
A former Southland Conference member, UTSA had won 24 of the Roadrunners’ 30 previous meeting coming into Saturday’s action. The Kats dominated from the beginning as Carrie Casey and Mila Milanovic rolled to a 6-3 win at number one and Rosaline Gerritsen and Sahaja Yamalapalli triumphed at number three 6-4.
Gettwart defeated Deniesa Ibrahimovic 6-3 6-3 at number one. Yamalapalli knocked off Ivana Ilic 6-1 6-4 at two. Wee took Sofie Boers 6-1 6-4. Casey won over Charleen Towaro 6-2 6-2 to round out the straight sets win. Lusine Chobanyan dropped her first set but roared back to down Laura Cabrera 4-6 6-1 1-0 (1).
"This was a big win for the team today," head coach Rob Hubbard said. "They are a strong program that has been hard to beat in recent years for Sam Houston. We've been working really hard on our doubles. It was a big plus for us to start off winning the doubles point."
Next action for the Bearkats will be a home match Friday, Feb. 9, versus Louisiana Tech at the McAdams Tennis Center.
SAM HOUSTON 6, UTSA 1
Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018 at UTSA Tennis Center, San Antonio
1. Carrie Casey / Mila Milanovic (SHSU) def. Sofie Boers / Laura Cabrera (UTSA) 6-3
2. Fabienne Gettwart / Khee Yen Wee (SHSU) vs. Deniesa Ibrahimovic / Sonia Madroval (UTSA) unfinished 2-5
3. Rosaline Gerritsen / Sahaja Yamalapalli (SHSU) def. Ivana Ilic / Charleen Tswari (UTSA) 6-4
1. Fabienne Gettwart (SHSU) def. Deniesa Ibrahimovic (UTSA) 6-3 6-3
2. Sahaja Yamalapalli (SHSU) def. Ivana Ilic (UTSA) 6-1 6-4
3. Khee Yen Wee (SHSU) def. Sofie Boers (UTSA) 6-1 6-4
4. Carrie Casey (SHSU) def. Charleen Towaro (UTSA) 6-2 6-2
5. Laura Cabrera (UTSA) def. Mila Milanovic (SHSU) 6-1 6-2
6. Lusine Chobanyan (SHSU) def. Laura Cabrera (UTSA) 4-6 6-1 1-0 (1)