LAFAYETTE, La. – Through double overtime, junior Katy Johnson was the lone Bearkat to score a goal in the Sam Houston State soccer team’s (1-0-1) 1-1 draw at Louisiana, Sunday evening at the Ragin’ Cajun Soccer/Track Complex.

“Tonight’s contest was a hard-fought match that also had a lightning delay,” head coach Tom Brown said. “I was disappointed that we allowed a goal so late in the match, but I was proud of how hard we played in the overtime. This team showed a true desire to try and win tonight.”

Louisiana wasted no time getting to work and fired off the first shot of the evening 43 seconds into the first half. The Ragin’ Cajuns registered two more shots before a 30-minute lightning delay struck in the 13th minute.

Returning to the pitch, Louisiana’s Gwen Mummert scorched a shot to the SHSU goal, but senior goalkeeper Christina Hendershot (1-0-1) made her second of three saves to keep the home team off the board.

It wasn’t until the 39th minute that the SHSU offense was able to get a shot off. The Kats lined up for a corner kick and senior Meredith Carlson sent the ball deep into the box. Newcomer Tilde Orn went up for the header, but missed just over the goal 

Shortly after in the 43rd minute, Carlota Suarez Crespo let loose a shot from 30 yards out. The shot would have snuck in the top of the goal, but Louisiana goalkeeper Victoria Ryan leaped up and punched the ball over the top of the crossbar. Carlson tried to score once more before the end of the half, but both teams ended the 45-minute mark scoreless.  

The Kats commanded control of the ball coming out of the half and recorded three shots before Johnson opened up the match for SHSU. Launching a shot from 25 yards out, Johnson gave the Bearkats a 1-0 lead in the 66th minute with the second goal of her career.

The Kats held the Ragin’ Cajuns silent until the 87th minute when Louisiana’s Sarah Koziowski headed in the equalizing goal past Hendershot on a cross into the box. Neither team was able to push through the tie in the remaining three minutes, resulting in overtime action.

SHSU controlled the ball throughout both overtime periods and outshot Louisiana 5-0 through the full 20 minutes. The Kats came close to scoring in the first overtime period when Sammi Mayock headed in a ball inside the box. However, contact was made with the Louisiana goalkeeper and the goal was negated.

Despite several close scoring attempts from the Bearkats, neither team was able to break through the 1-1 mark and the match ended in a draw.

Coming Up Next

The Bearkats return home to Pritchett Field on Friday, Aug. 24 for a 6:30 p.m. matchup against San Diego. For all the latest information on the Sam Houston State soccer team, visit or follow @BearkatsSOC on Twitter.