HUNTSVILLE – Taylor Pritchard netted her first goal of the season, but it wasn’t enough for the Bearkats as the Sam Houston State soccer team (1-8-3, 0-3-2) dropped a 3-1 decision to McNeese on Sunday at Pritchett Field.

The Cowgirls came out of the gates guns blazing and took advantage of a Sam Houston mistake early in the third minute. A Bearkat defender with the ball fell down just outside the 18-yard box and McNeese’s Havana Johnson took possession and snuck the ball past SHSU goalkeeper Christina Hendershot to give the Cowgirls an early 1-0 lead.

However, later in the 18th minute, Meredith Carlson fed Pritchard the ball at the top of the box. Pritchard dribbled through three defenders to put herself in prime position to even up the score. Firing a shot from the left side of the box, Pritchard found the back-right corner of the goal to even things up at one goal apiece.

Katy Johnson was the only other Bearkat to record a shot on goal but her attempt in the 32nd minute was brought in by McNeese’s Emma Roccaforte. Hendershot, who brought in 10 saves on the day, collected eight saves in the first half alone.

Returning from halftime tied at 1-1, Hannah Dupin tried to put the Bearkats up but her shot flew straight into the hands of Roccaforte. McNeese broke through the stalemate 22 minutes into the second half as Anna Watson sunk a shot from 18-yards out to make it a 2-1 match.

The Cowgirls’ final goal came in the 74th minute after Morgan Middleton found the right side of the net on a shot from 10-yards out.

Sammi Mayock and Tilde Orn tried to respond with shots of their own, but they were both brought in by the McNeese goalkeeper. With the 3-1 loss, Sam Houston falls to 1-8-3 on the season and 0-3-2 in Southland Conference play.

Coming Up Next

Sam Houston closes out its three-match homestand with a 6:30 p.m. contest against Northwestern State on Friday, Oct. 5. For all the latest information on the Sam Houston State soccer team, visit or follow @BearkatsSOC on Twitter.