CONWAY, Ark. – The Sam Houston State Bearkats pulled away with a 15-5 third-quarter run against Central Arkansas to win 71-59 on Wednesday night at the Farris Center.
The Bearkats (16-11, 11-6 SLC) played great team basketball and had four players in double-digits in the scoring column against the Sugar Bears (11-16, 6-11 SLC), running their win streak to three in a row.
The Kats saw a surge of runs in each quarter of play, helping them continuously build upon its first-quarter lead. Sam Houston carried its hot shooting into the game and went 28-for-59 from the field, shooting 47 percent.
Central Arkansas was led freshman Alana Canady who had 12 points for the Sugar Bears.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- A quick 6-0 run by UCA saw the Kats trailing midway through the first quarter
- Jump shots from Kiera McKinney and Walker got the Bearkats within one point late in the first quarter
- Walker knocked down a triple with 3:26 left to play to tie the game and got the momentum to swing for SHSU
- The Kats ended the quarter on a 10-2 run led by Leggett who contributed seven of those points, and the Bearkats led by three going into the second quarter
- Sam Houston came out of the quarter change in a full-court man-to-man press which forced a UCA turnover that La’Sha Haynes turned into a bucket for the Kats
- The Sugar Bears were forced to call a timeout after sticky defense from the Bearkats stopped them again on the press
- 9-2 run midway through the second quarter solidified the lead for the Kats
- UCA ended the half with a quick 7-0 surge and got within six points of Sam Houston
- The Sugar Bears struck first in the second half to get the score within four points
- Sam Houston answered with a huge 15-5 run to increase the lead to 16 points with four minutes left in the third quarter
- The Kats saw five different players score on the run led by Maxwell who had 5 points
- UCA could not get anything to fall scoring just 11 points in the third quarter
- Leggett opened the final quarter of play shooting hot and had the first 10 points for the Bearkats
- The Kats were on cruise control for the remainder of the game after a Walker lay-up that put them up by 18 points with just 3:48 left in regulation
The Bearkats return to action on Saturday, March 9th in the final regular season game against the Stephen F. Austin Ladyjacks. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m. and the game will be aired on ESPN3.