HAMMOND, La. – The Sam Houston State Bearkats extended their conference win streak to eight straight victories as they took down Southeastern Louisiana, 62-52, on Wednesday night at the University Center.
The Bearkats (13-8, 8-0 SLC) trailed by four at the half, but a strong defensive second half against SLU (8-13, 4-4 SLC) helped propel the team to a double-digit victory.
RJ Smith led the way off the bench for the team in scoring with 15 points on 5-for-7 shooting (2-for-2 form 3-point range) to go along with four boards. Chad Bowie joined Smith off the bench and provided a much-needed spark as he scored 10 points, grabbed three rebounds and recorded a steal.
Kai Mitchell worked through foul trouble and found a way to impact the game in limited minutes, scoring 10 points on 4-for-6 shooting. Josh Delaney added 11 points five boards and three dimes.
Reigning SLC Player of the Week Cameron Delaney struggled from the field but helped the Bearkats in every other way with a team-high six rebounds. He also collected three assists, a block
- Josh Delaney tied it up at 11 with his second 3-pointer (6 points 2-for-3 form three)- 13:30
- The Kats had some early-game shooting woes, hitting 5-for-17 shooting in the game’s first 10 minutes
- The Kats hit five of their first 10 shots from distance, including back-to-back-to treys from Chad Bowie and RJ Smith for a 9-0 run that forced an SLU timeout with SHSU up 22-15
- Lions answered with 15-4 run and took a 30-26 lead into the half
Notable First Half Stats
- SHSU shoot 33 percent from the field, but 6-for-16 from three-point range (37.5 percent)
- Zero points in the paint for SHSU
- Bearkats only shot two free throws
- Just two assists for SHSU compared to SLU’s 10
- Forced SLU into 10 turnovers
- Chad Bowie had six points off the bench on 2-for-2 from beyond the arc
- Kai Mitchell and Josh Delaney had four rebounds a piece
- Delaney also went 2-for-4 from the three-point line and added two assists
- SHSU held SLU to zero free throws attempted in the half
- Bearkats forced SLU into 2-for-6 shooting to start the second half
- Chad Bowie got a steal and drives the length of the court for a layup that brought the Kats within one 38-37 at the 13:14 mark, then gave the Kats the lead at the foul line less than two minutes later
- Zach Nutall got a steal then received the assist from Chad Bowie for a basket to put SHSU up three at 41-38
- Kats held the Lions without a bucket for more than four minutes, building a 43-41 advantage into a comfortable 51-41 edge before the next SLU score
- SHSU took a 10-point lead, the largest of the game at the time after a Chad Bowie lay-up puts them up 51-41- 6:04
- SLU cut the deficit to six (51-45)- 4:54
- SHSU called a timeout then came out and went on a 4-0 run to extend
Notable Second Half Stats
- SLU shot only 39 percent from the field, including 1-for-7 form three
- SHSU won the offensive rebound battle 5-0 (Led to seven second-chance points)
- SHSU with only four turnovers and forced nine turnovers
- SHSU had 4 steals in the second half and SLU had 0
- After only taking two free throws in the first half SHSU took 15 in the second half
Notable Game Stats
- SHSU held SLU to 52 points (nine points below their opponents’ points-per-game)
- RJ Smith scored 15 points to lead the Bearkats on 5-for-7 from the field and added four rebounds and knocked down both of his three-point attempts.
- Chad Bowie came off the bench and scored 10 points, knocking down half of his eight field goal attempts
- Cameron Delaney grabbed six rebounds and had three assists
- SHSU held SLU to only 3 offensive rebounds
- SHSU bench outscored SLU 34-19
- SHSU with only 11 turnovers
The Bearkats return home to face rival Stephen F. Austin who comes into the matchup at 4-3 in conference play. Sam Houston State will look to keep the win streak alive on Saturday at the Johnson Coliseum. Tipoff is set for 7:00 p.n.