HUNTSVILLE – The Sam Houston State soccer team returns home to host San Diego in a 6:30 p.m. contest on Friday, Aug. 24 at Pritchett Field. Live Stats will be available for the match.
Match 3 – SHSU vs. San Diego
Date & Time: Friday, Aug. 24 • 6:30 p.m.
Location: Huntsville, Texas
Site: Pritchett Field
Brown's Keys to the Match
"The key for us is to learn from our games this past weekend and keep improving. We felt like we played some really good soccer at times but gave in to the pressure in the last five minutes and allowed the goal to be scored. We were very good in the overtime and put together what should have been a legal goal. We have to be more confident in those moments and not doubt ourselves." - head coach Tom Brown
- Senior goalkeeper Christina Hendershot posted her first shutout of the season in the Kats’ season opener against Utah State. Hendershot raked in seven saves in the 2-0 victory.
- Earning the Kats’ first weekly award of the season, sophomore Courtney Pawlik was named the Southland Conference Defensive Player of the Week thanks to her efforts against Utah State and Louisiana.
- Sophomore forward Sammi Mayock netted SHSU’s first goal of the season with a game-winning header in the second half against Utah State. Mayock, who leads the Kats with a .500 shooting percentage, sunk two goals as a freshman.
- Three Kats – Carlota Suarez Crespo, Carly English
andTaylor Pritchard – were named to the Southland Conference 2018 Preseason All-Conference Team. Suarez Crespo earned first-team honors while English and Pritchard were both named to the second team.
- One of three Kats with a goal this season, senior forward Lindsey Bienski upped SHSU’s score and found the back of the net in the Kats’ 2-0 victory against Utah State. Her goal marked the second of her career.
- Pulling out a win and a draw in its first two matches, SHSU is off to its best start since the 2015 season. The Kats kicked off the 2015 season on a four-match win streak that included a 1-0 win over SHSU’s most recent opponent, Louisiana.
- Junior Katy Johnson was the lone Kat to score in SHSU’s 1-1, double-overtime draw at Louisiana. Johnson sunk a shot from 25-yards out in the 66th minute to give the Kats the first lead of the match.
- One week before the start of the 2018 season, SHSU was picked to finish seventh in the SLC. Defending champion Lamar was selected as the league favorite, followed by Stephen F. Austin, Abilene Christian, Central Arkansas, McNeese, Houston Baptist, SHSU, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Southeastern Louisiana, Northwestern State, Nicholls
- Through two games, Hendershot ranks third in the SLC with 10 saves on the season. She collected seven against Utah State and brought in three saves at Louisiana on Sunday.
- All three of SHSU’s goals have been scored in the second half of regulation play. The Kats have combined for only five shots in the first half of their matches and have tallied 18 in the second half.
Friday’s match will be the first meeting between San Diego and SHSU.
Friday’s match against San Diego is scheduled to begin at 6:30 p.m. at Pritchett Field. Live Stats will be available. For all the latest information on the Sam Houston State soccer team, visit gobearkats.com or follow @BearkatsSOC on Twitter.