HUNTSVILLE – Looking to turn the page, the Sam Houston State soccer team (1-3-1) continues its road swing at Houston on Friday, Sept. 7 before returning home on Sept. 9 to face the Little Rock Trojans. Kickoff on Friday is slated for 7 p.m. and Sunday’s match will start at approximately 1 p.m.
Match 6 – SHSU at Houston
Date & Time: Friday, Sept. 7 • 7 p.m.
Location: Houston, Texas
Site: Carl Lewis International Complex
Match 7 – SHSU vs. Little Rock
Date & Time: Sunday, Sept. 9 • 1 p.m.
Location: Huntsville, Texas
Site: Pritchett Field
Promotion: Alumni Weekend
Brown’s Keys to the Match
“We will look to rebound from our games last weekend on the road. We have had trouble scoring goals in the past few matches and we will need to fix that part of our game. We have focused our training this week on some aspects of our game that caused us trouble last weekend.”
“We are looking forward to returning home on Sunday. Little Rock is a very good team and will test us. This will be our last couple of games before we start our conference play.”
Bearkats Quick Kicks
- Netting SHSU’s only goal against the Golden Hurricanes, junior Lexi Bullard scored the first goal of her career to put the Bearkats on the board at Tulsa.
- Freshman goalkeeper Abby DeLozier made her first collegiate appearance on Sunday at Tulsa. The McKinney, Texas, native got the call in the 60th minute of the match and immediately racked up four saves.
- Senior goalkeeper Christina Hendershot posted her first shutout of the season in the Kats’ season opener against Utah State. Hendershot raked in seven saves in the 2-0 victory.
- Earning the Kats’ first weekly award of the season, sophomore Courtney Pawlik was named the Southland Conference Defensive Player of the Week thanks to her efforts against Utah State and Louisiana.
- Sophomore forward Sammi Mayock netted SHSU’s first goal of the season with a game-winning header in the second half against Utah State. Mayock sunk two goals as a freshman.
- Three Kats – Carlota Suarez Crespo, Carly English
andTaylor Pritchard – were named to the Southland Conference 2018 Preseason All-Conference Team. Suarez Crespo earned first-team honors while English and Pritchard were both named to the second team.
- One of four Kats with a goal this season, senior forward Lindsey Bienski upped SHSU’s score and found the back of the net in the Kats’ 2-0 victory against Utah State. Her goal marked the second of her career.
- Junior Katy Johnson was the lone Kat to score in SHSU’s 1-1, double-overtime draw at Louisiana. Johnson sunk a shot from 25-yards out in the 66th minute to give the Kats the first lead of the match.
- One week before the start of the 2018 season, SHSU was picked to finish seventh in the SLC. Defending champion Lamar was selected as the league favorite, followed by Stephen F. Austin, Abilene Christian, Central Arkansas, McNeese, Houston Baptist, SHSU, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Southeastern Louisiana, Northwestern State, Nicholls
- The SHSU goalkeepers have collected 29 saves over the last five matches, which marks four more than at this point last season. Hendershot, who has seen the majority of time in goal, leads with 23 saves while DeLozier has collected four. The SHSU defense tallied two defensive saves, one against Utah State and the other against Tulsa.
- All four of SHSU’s goals have been scored in the second half of regulation play. The Kats have combined for 22 shots in the first half of their matches and have tallied 30 in the second half.
The Houston Cougars hold a 5-0 all-time series lead over the Bearkats. Dating back to the 2004 season, every contest – except a 3-1 decision in 2008 – has been decided by one goal. SHSU will be meeting for the first time since 2009 when the Cougars edged out the Bearkats 1-0.
Clashing for the first time in 2017, Little Rock claims the only victory between the two teams. The Bearkats fell 5-0 in the inaugural meeting at Little Rock and fired off 11 shots during the match. Hendershot finished the match with eight saves.
Kickoff at Houston is slated for 7 p.m. and Sunday’s match will start at approximately 1 p.m. Live stats will be available for both matches and a live stream will be provided for Friday’s contest. For all the latest information on the Sam Houston State soccer team, visit gobearkats.com or follow @BearkatsSOC on Twitter.