HUNTSVILLE – The Sam Houston State soccer team (1-5-1) begins Southland Conference play on Friday, Sept. 14 with a 7 p.m. contest against league-leading Central Arkansas at the Bill Stephens Track/Soccer Complex in Conway, Ark.
Match 8 – SHSU (1-5-1) at Central Arkansas (5-2-1)
Date & Time: Friday, Sept. 14 • 7 p.m.
Location: Conway, Ark.
Site: Bill Stephens Track/Soccer Complex
Brown’s Keys to the Match
“Central Arkansas has had some very good results during their non-conference games. They have a very good attacking team and we will need to be able to limit their opportunities. We felt better about our play this past weekend and we hope to keep improving as we move into conference play.”
- Senior Lindsey Bienski leads the Kats with two goals on the season. She picked up her first goal of the season in the Kats’ season opener against San Diego and netted her second in SHSU’s contest at Houston. Bienski now boasts three goals in her career.
- Netting SHSU’s only goal against the Golden Hurricanes, junior Lexi Bullard scored the first goal of her career to put the Bearkats on the board at Tulsa.
- Senior goalkeeper Christina Hendershot posted her first shutout of the season in the Kats’ season opener against Utah State. Hendershot raked in seven saves in the 2-0 victory.
- Earning the Kats’ first weekly award of the season, sophomore Courtney Pawlik was named the Southland Conference Defensive Player of the Week thanks to her efforts against Utah State and Louisiana.
- Sophomore forward Sammi Mayock netted SHSU’s first goal of the season with a game-winning header in the second half against Utah State. Mayock sunk two goals as a freshman.
- Three Kats – Carlota Suarez Crespo, Carly English
andTaylor Pritchard – were named to the Southland Conference 2018 Preseason All-Conference Team. Suarez Crespo earned first-team honors while English and Pritchard were both named to the second team.
- Junior Katy Johnson was the lone Kat to score in SHSU’s 1-1, double-overtime draw at Louisiana. Johnson sunk a shot from 25-yards out in the 66th minute to give the Kats the first lead of the match.
- One week before the start of the 2018 season, SHSU was picked to finish seventh in the SLC. Defending champion Lamar was selected as the league favorite, followed by Stephen F. Austin, Abilene Christian, Central Arkansas, McNeese, Houston Baptist, SHSU, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Southeastern Louisiana, Northwestern State, Nicholls
- The SHSU goalkeepers have collected 40 saves over the last five matches, which marks four more than at this point last season. Hendershot, who has seen the majority of time in goal, leads with 34 saves while DeLozier has collected four. The SHSU defense tallied two defensive saves, one against Utah State and the other against Tulsa.
- The Bearkats finished 4-5-2 in Southland Conference action last season, breaking out wins against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Northwestern State, Southeastern Louisiana
Meeting first in 2006, the Bearkats hold an 8-4-1 all-time series lead over the Bears. SHSU went on an eight-match win streak from 2008-2015 before the teams ground out a 0-0 double-overtime draw in 2015. Central Arkansas claimed the last two contests and made out with a 2-1 victory at Pritchett Field last season. Lindsey Bienski came off the bench to provide the Bearkats lone goal in the 67th minute. Her first goal of the season came as Meredith Carlson hit a beautiful cross to a Bienski header as it went in on the right side of the net.
Kickoff on Friday is slated for 7 p.m. in Conway, Ark. Live stats, as well as a live stream, will be available for the match. For all the latest information on the Sam Houston State soccer team, visit gobearkats.com or follow @BearkatsSOC on Twitter.