Box Score

The No. 11 Sam Houston State Bearkats had to wait out more than a three-hour weather delay, but then were shut out for the final three quarters of play as the No. 18 Nicholls Colonels handed them a 27-7 loss on Saturday night at Guidry Field.

The game was scheduled to kick off ta 3:05 p.m., but was delayed more than three hours due to inclement weather in the area. But after the delay the Kats (1-2, 0-1 SLC) struggled to sustain drives for the majority of the night, finishing with just 319 yards of offense for the game on a night that saw the Colonels (2-2, 1-1 SLC) snap an 11-game losing streak to the Bearkats that dated back to 2005.

Sam Houston held an early 7-3 lead on a 19-yard touchdown pass from Mike Dare to Davion Davis, but Nicholls answered with a touchdown and went in to the half up 10-7 and never surrendered it again.

Chase Fourcade passed for less than 200 yards, but was not sacked and rushed for 60 yards of his own for the Colonels, aiding a rushing attack that finished with 248 yards on the ground on the night compared to just 53 for the Bearkats.

Dare completed 18 of his 24 passes, including 13 of 16 in the first half, but gave up a pair of key interceptions in the third quarter. In all the Kats would use three quarterbacks on the night with 14 of the 21 completions going to all-America wide receivers Davion Davis and Nathan Stewart. Davis finished with 86 yards on six catches, while Stewart had 113 yards on eight grabs.

Defensively, Hunter Brown once again led the way with a team-high 12 tackles while Brailyn Franklin added five and a fumble recovery.

Both teams stalled out on their first drive of the game, but the Colonels got going on their second drive, using a 31-yard connection from Fourcade to Dai’Jean Dixon that set up a 35-yard field goal by Lorran Fonseca to put Nicholls up 3-0 in the opening quarter.

Sam Houston would answer back, however, going 70 yards on 10 plays to take the lead with less than two minutes to play in the opening quarter. Dare hooked up with Davis and Nathan for big conversions on the drive before hitting Davis from 19 yards out for the go-ahead score.

Derick Roberson got his hand up and blocked a 42-yard field goal try by the Colonels to end the following drive, but the Kats followed that up by missing a field goal of their own on the ensuing drive. Nicholls then took the lead after a 10-play, 74-yard drive was capped by a 12-yard touchdown pass by Fourcade to Damion Jeanpiere.

The Kats were intercepted on the first play of the second half, but the defense held firm on the drive; however, the Colonels were still able to up their lead later in the quarter on a 22-yard field goal by Fonseca.

Sam Houston forced its first turnover of the game late in the quarter when Franklin pounced on a fumble by Kendall Bussey inside the Bearkat 20, and the Kats responded by marching all the way down inside the Colonel red zone. But, on second-and-goal, Dare was picked off for the second time in the quarter, this one at the 1-yard line by Ahmani Martin to keep Nicholls out in front.

The Colonels would flip the field and then take advantage one drive later on a 59-yard scoring drive that upped the lead to 20-7. Sam Houston tried to muster one more scoring drive with less than five minutes to go, but turned the ball over on for the second of three times on the night inside its own 5-yard line to set up what would be the Colonels’ final score of the night.

The Kats will return home on Saturday to host defending Southland Conference champion Central Arkansas at Bowers Stadium. Kickoff is set for 3:00 p.m. and will be aired on ESPN3.