HUNTSVILLE – Coming out of the gate fast by winning the double point, Sam Houston cruised to a 6-1 Southland Conference women’s tennis dual match victory over Lamar Saturday afternoon at the McAdams Tennis Center.
The result upped the Bearkats’ season mark to 10-4, the most wins in a season for the program since 2009. More importantly, the squad moved higher in the league standings. Northwestern State, entering weekend action as the Southland’s only unbeaten team, fell Friday to Abilene Christian. With a 5-2 record, the Kats stand just match out of first place.
“There’s plenty of tennis left, but this was a big win for us,” head coach Rob Hubbard said. “Taking the doubles point helped us off to a great start. Then we won the first set in every singles match which shows we were ready to play. This was a good team win.”
Northwestern State (7-1), McNeese (7-1) and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (6-1) lead the Southland race. Sam Houston (5-2) follows.
Fabienne Gettwart and Khee Yen Wee blanked Sania Jolic and Kaela Di Glulio 6-0 at number two to start the match on a strong note. Carrie Casey and Mila Milanovic paired to defeat Jasmin Buchta and Amelie Vossgaetter 6-4 at the number one position to earn the doubles point for team.
Gettwart defated Buchta 6-2 6-2 in the number one singles match for the Kats’ second point. The win marked the senior’s sixth consecutive Southland victory at number one and gives her an 11-3 record overall for the season.
Freshman Sahaja Yamalapalli added a third point with a -1 6-3 number two singles win over Jolic. Yamalapalli is 11-3 for the year and undefeated in seven conference duels this spring.
Milanovic chalked up the match-clinching point with a 6-1 6-4 victory over Milena Bellanovich at number six.
“That win in the doubles really helped me in the singles,” Milanovic said. “It was awesome to win the doubles point for the first time in a few matches. It helped me to be more positive in singles where I’ve been struggling some.”
Casey Lusine Chobanyan picked up the final two points with victories at number four and five singles. Casey defeated Di Giulio 6-4 6-3 and Chobanyan took care of Natalia Molina 6-2 7-6.
Sam Houston heads to Louisiana for a two-match road swing next weekend. The Bearkats will take on Nicholls in Thibodeaux on Saturday and McNeese in Lake Charles on Sunday.
Tennis Match Results
Sam Houston State 6, Lamar 1
Mar 31, 2018 at Huntsville, Texas
1. Carrie Casey/Mila Milanovic (SHSU) def. Jasmin Buchta/Amelie Vossgaetter (LAMAR) 6-4
2. Fabienne Gettwart/Khee Yen Wee (SHSU) def. Sanja Jolic/Kaela Di Giulio (LAMAR) 6-0
3. Stephanie Marchena/Natalia Molina (LAMAR) def. Roos Gerritsen/Sahaja Yamalapalli (SHSU) 6-4
1. Fabienne Gettwart (SHSU) def. Jasmin Buchta (LAMAR) 6-2, 6-2
2. Sahaja Yamalapalli (SHSU) def. Sanja Jolic (LAMAR) 6-1, 6-3
- 3. Amelie Vossgaetter (LAMAR) def. Khee Yen Wee (SHSU) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0
4. Carrie Casey (SHSU) def. Kaela Di Giulio (LAMAR) 6-4, 6-3
5. Lusine Chobanyan (SHSU) def. Natalia Molina (LAMAR) 6-2, 7-6
- 6. Mila Milanovic (SHSU) def. Milena Belianovich (LAMAR) 6-1, 6-4