HUNTSVILLE – The Sam Houston State soccer team (1-8-3, 0-3-2 SLC) looks to turn the corner as it hosts the Northwestern State Lady Demons in a 6:30 p.m. match on Friday, Oct. 5 at Pritchett Field.
Match 13 – SHSU (1-8-3, 0-3-2 SLC) vs. Northwestern State (7-4-0, 1-1-0 SLC)
Date & Time: Friday, Oct. 5 • 6:30 p.m.
Location: Huntsville, Texas
Site: Pritchett Field
Promotion: Pink Out & Free Food Friday
- Leading the Bearkat goalkeepers with nearly 1,000 minutes in goal, senior Christina Hendershot ranks second in the league with 64 saves and 5.82 saves per match. Hendershot tallied a career-high 10 saves against Lamar and returned two days later with another 10 saves against McNeese.
- Senior Lindsey Bienski leads the Sam Houston State offense with three goals on the season. She picked up her first goal in the Kats’ season opener against San Diego and netted her second in Sam Houston’s contest at Houston. Her most recent goal came against Lamar where she helped the Kats’ to a 1-1, double-overtime draw. She is the only
Bearkatto score multiple goals this season.
- Earning the Kats’ only league award this season, sophomore Courtney Pawlik
was namedthe Southland Conference Defensive Player of the Week on Aug. 21 thanks to standout performances against Utah State (8/16) and Louisiana (8/19).
- Netting SHSU’s only goal against the Golden Hurricanes, junior Lexi Bullard scored the first goal of her career to put the Bearkats on the board at Tulsa (9/2).
- The Bearkats registered a season-high 21 shots and 11 shots on goal against Lamar on Sept. 28. Sam Houston’s previous mark was 18 shots against Little Rock (9/9) and seven shots on goal at Central Arkansas (9/14).
- Aiding the Sam Houston goalkeepers, the Bearkats have tallied four team saves this season. They tallied one apiece against Utah State (8/16) and Tulsa (9/2) and picked up two against league favorite Lamar (9/28).
- Earning her first collegiate start, freshman Abby DeLozier racked up a career-high six saves in the Bearkats’ 1-1 draw against Houston Baptist. The newcomer posted a clean sheet with one save in the first half and collected four more in the second half. She was a stronghold for the Sam Houston defense in overtime and brought in one more save to keep the score even.
- Sam Houston snapped its seven-match losing streak with a 1-1, double-overtime draw at Houston Baptist (9/23). The deadlock marked the Kats’ fourth overtime match of the season.
- Equaling its total number of goals, eight different Bearkats have recorded assists this season. Bailey Strong and Meredith Carlson produced assists in the Kats’ season-opening win over Utah State (8/16) and Danielle Forsyth picked up the first assist of her career at Louisiana (8/19). Sammi Mayock collected one assist at Tulsa (9/2), Katy Johnson earned an assist at Houston (9/7) and freshman Grace Stine picked up her first career assist in the Kats’ 1-1 draw at HBU (9/23). Most recently, Micaela Birt picked up an assist in the Kats’ 1-1 draw against Lamar (9/28) and Carlson earned her second assist of the season against McNeese (9/30).
- Five out of Sam Houston’s eight goals have been scored in the second half this season. The Kats’ fastest goal of the season was at HBU where Lindsey Bienski netted the first goal of the match in the sixth minute.
Meeting for the first time in 2003, Northwestern State holds a 13-5 all-time series lead over the Bearkats. The Lady Demons claimed the first seven matches, but a 2-1 win at home in 2007 marked Sam Houston’s first victory over Northwestern State. The Bearkats are 4-5-0 against Northwestern State at Pritchett Field where their last home victory was in 2014. However, Sam Houston snapped a two-match winning streak and came out with a 3-1 win at Natchitoches, La., last season.
Friday’s home match against Northwestern State is slated for 6:30 p.m. at Pritchett Field. Live stats, as well as a live stream, will be available for the match. For all the latest information on the Sam Houston State soccer team, visit gobearkats.com or follow @BearkatsSOC on Twitter.