HUNTSVILLE – Coming off its first Southland Conference win of the season, the Sam Houston State soccer team travels to the state of Louisiana for a pair of matches at Nicholls (10/12) and Southeastern Louisiana (10/14).
Friday’s contest in Thibodaux, La., is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m. and Sunday’s matchup at Southeastern Louisiana is slated for 1 p.m. at Strawberry Stadium.
Match 14 – SHSU (2-8-3, 1-3-2 SLC) at Nicholls (2-11-0, 0-6-0 SLC)
Date & Time: Friday, Oct. 12 • 4 p.m.
Location: Thibodaux, La.
Site: Nicholls Soccer Complex
Match 15 – SHSU (2-8-3, 1-3-2 SLC) at Southeastern Louisiana (5-4-3, 2-2-2 SLC)
Date & Time: Sunday, Oct. 14 • 1 p.m.
Location: Hammond, La.
Site: Strawberry Stadium
- With over 1,000 minutes in goal, senior Christina Hendershot ranks second in the league with 71 saves and third with 5.92 saves per match. Hendershot tallied a career-high 10 saves against Lamar and returned two days later with another 10 saves against McNeese. She boasts Sam Houston’s only two shutouts of the season.
- Senior Lindsey Bienski leads the Sam Houston State offense with four goals on the season. She picked up her first goal in the Kats’ season opener against San Diego and netted her second in Sam Houston’s contest at Houston. She was the only Kat to score against Lamar, where she helped Sam Houston to a 1-1, double-overtime draw. Netting the game-winning goal against Northwestern State, she was instrumental in the Kats’ first Southland Conference win of the season. Bienski is the only
Bearkatto score multiple goals this season.
- Earning the Kats’ only league award this season, sophomore Courtney Pawlik
was namedthe Southland Conference Defensive Player of the Week on Aug. 21 thanks to standout performances against Utah State (8/16) and Louisiana (8/19).
- Netting SHSU’s only goal against the Golden Hurricanes, junior Lexi Bullard scored the first goal of her career to put the Bearkats on the board at Tulsa (9/2).
- The Bearkats registered a season-high 21 shots, 11 shots on goal and 12 saves against Lamar on Sept. 28. Sam Houston’s previous mark was 18 shots against Little Rock (9/9) and seven shots on goal at Central Arkansas (9/14).
- Aiding the Sam Houston goalkeepers, the Bearkats have racked up four team saves this season. They tallied one apiece against Utah State (8/16) and Tulsa (9/2) and picked up two against league favorite Lamar (9/28).
- Earning her first collegiate start, freshman Abby DeLozier racked up a career-high six saves in the Bearkats’ 1-1 draw against Houston Baptist. The newcomer posted a clean sheet with one save in the first half and collected four more in the second half. She was a stronghold for the Sam Houston defense in overtime and brought in one more save to keep the score even.
- Four of the Bearkats’ nine goals have been scored on the road this season. Sam Houston has four goals in league play and three of those four have come early in the first half.
- Whitney Woodward served as the anchor for the Bearkat back line that held Northwestern State to just seven shots on goal. The senior from Pflugerville, Texas, was responsible for numerous clear outs and takeaways to hold Northwestern State scoreless in the Kats’ first conference win of the season. Playing a full 90 minutes, her efforts in the backfield held the SLC leader in goals, April Trowbridge, scoreless in Sam Houston’s 1-0 shutout.
- Sam Houston earned its second victory, and shutout, of the season in its 1-0 win over Northwestern State on Friday, Oct. 5. The Kats combined for 17 shots and eight shots on goal.
Meeting for the first time back in 2003, Sam Houston boasts a 9-6-2 all-time series lead over Nicholls. Sam Houston went on a six-match win streak from 2007-12 but the two teams ended the last meeting in a 0-0 draw at Pritchett Field in 2017. Sam Houston is 3-5-0 at Nicholls with its last victory being a 5-1 decision during the 2010 season.
The Lady Lions lead Sam Houston 8-6-3 in its 17-season history. Sam Houston posted a 2-0 shutout over Southeastern Louisiana at Pritchett Field last season to claim its first victory over the Lady Lions since 2014. The Bearkats found the back of the net courtesy of Sammi Mayock, who was making her first career start, and Beryl Smith, who matched Carlota Suarez Crespo for the team lead in goals with six. Hendershot was credited with the shutout and extended her scoreless minute’s streak to 235 minutes. Sam Houston is 3-4-1 playing as the visiting team.
Friday’s matchup at Nicholls is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m. and Sunday’s contest at Southeastern Louisiana is slated for 1 p.m. Live stats will be available for both matches and a live stream will be available for Sunday’s match against the Lady Lions. For all the latest information on the Sam Houston State soccer team, visit gobearkats.com or follow @BearkatsSOC on Twitter.