HUNTSVILLE – The Sam Houston State soccer team preps for a three-game road swing that is set to begin on Friday, Aug. 31 with a 7 p.m. contest at Oral Roberts in Tulsa, Okla. The Bearkats will then turn around on Sunday to face Tulsa in a 2 p.m. match at Hurricane Soccer & Track Stadium.
Match 4 – SHSU at Oral Roberts
Date & Time: Friday, Aug. 31 • 7 p.m.
Location: Tulsa, Okla.
Site: Case Soccer Complex
Match 5 – SHSU at Tulsa
Date & Time: Sunday, Sept. 2 • 2 p.m.
Location: Tulsa, Okla.
Site: Hurricane Soccer & Track Stadium
Brown’s Keys to the Match
“Both of these teams that we face in Tulsa will be very good competition for us. Oral Roberts has always been a fast, athletic team. They are usually very well organized and can compete with anyone. Tulsa had a down year last season but they seem to have a new spirit and intensity to their game. I was a graduate assistant coach for Tulsa so it’s nice to be going back.”
“Meredith and Bailey are from Jenks, Okla., so it’s nice that they will get to play in their hometown during their senior year. We are more focused on improving our game than our opponents at this point. This week’s training has been very good. The team is getting more comfortable on the field with each other and we are improving our understanding of each other.”
- Sam Houston State’s trip up north leads the team to the home of two
seniors - Meredith Carlson and Bailey Strong. The two are graduates of Jenks High School, which neighbors Oral Roberts and is across town from the University of Tulsa. Bearkat
- Senior goalkeeper Christina Hendershot posted her first shutout of the season in the Kats’ season opener against Utah State. Hendershot raked in seven saves in the 2-0 victory.
- Earning the Kats’ first weekly award of the season, sophomore Courtney Pawlik was named the Southland Conference Defensive Player of the Week thanks to her efforts against Utah State and Louisiana.
- Sophomore forward Sammi Mayock netted SHSU’s first goal of the season with a game-winning header in the second half against Utah State. Mayock, who leads the Kats with a .500 shooting percentage, sunk two goals as a freshman.
- The Kats make their first return to the state of Oklahoma since the 2012 season. The last match SHSU played in Oklahoma was on Oct. 7, 2012, when Oral Roberts was a member of the SLC. The Kats lost 1-0 in double overtime in the contest.
- Three Kats – Carlota Suarez Crespo, Carly English
andTaylor Pritchard – were named to the Southland Conference 2018 Preseason All-Conference Team. Suarez Crespo earned first-team honors while English and Pritchard were both named to the second team.
- One of three Kats with a goal this season, senior forward Lindsey Bienski upped SHSU’s score and found the back of the net in the Kats’ 2-0 victory against Utah State. Her goal marked the second of her career.
- Junior Katy Johnson was the lone Kat to score in SHSU’s 1-1, double-overtime draw at Louisiana. Johnson sunk a shot from 25-yards out in the 66th minute to give the Kats the first lead of the match.
- One week before the start of the 2018 season, SHSU was picked to finish seventh in the SLC. Defending champion Lamar was selected as the league favorite, followed by Stephen F. Austin, Abilene Christian, Central Arkansas, McNeese, Houston Baptist, SHSU, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Southeastern Louisiana, Northwestern State, Nicholls
- Through three matches, Hendershot ranks third in the SLC with 16 saves on the season. She collected seven against Utah State, three saves at Louisiana and six against San Diego.
- All three of SHSU’s goals have been scored in the second half of regulation play. The Kats have combined for 13 shots in the first half of their matches and have tallied 22 in the second half.
Once a member of the Southland Conference, Oral Roberts holds a 5-0 all-time series lead over the Bearkats. The most recent meeting between the two teams was back in the 2013 season at Pritchett Field. Former
Meeting just once before, SHSU trails Tulsa 1-0 in its all-time series history. The inaugural meeting between the Kats and Golden Hurricanes took place in Tulsa, Okla., on Aug. 28, 2011. Tulsa took the match 6-0. Following the match, Tricia Mallory and defender Emily Edenstrom were honored as selections to the Tulsa Invitational All-Tournament team.
Friday’s contest at Oral Roberts is slated for 7 p.m. at Case Soccer Complex. The Kats will return to action on Sunday for a 2 p.m. contest against the Golden Hurricanes at the Hurricane Soccer & Track Stadium. Live stats and live streams will be available for both matches. For all the latest information on the Sam Houston State soccer team, visit gobearkats.com or follow @BearkatsSOC on Twitter.