BEAUMONT – A strong first quarter shooting performance from the Sam Houston State Bearkats was not enough as the fell 81-76 against the Lamar Cardinals on Saturday afternoon at the Montagne Center.
Sam Houston came out hot from the start and the Bearkats (13-10, 8-5 SLC) finished the first quarter 10-for-14 from field goal range
The Bearkats struggled to hold onto the ball against a strong Lamar (19-5, 12-1 SLC) defense who ultimately forced 19 turnovers of which they scored 25 points off of.
Jaylonn Walker led all scorers with 26 points followed by Amber Leggett and Jennifer Oramas who each had 17 points. Along with Leggett’s 17 points, she added 10 rebounds to get her second double-double of the season.
The Kats only saw seven players touch the floor against Lamar, the first sub not entering the game until midway through the second quarter.
- A fast-paced first quarter saw a full court press from both the Bearkats and the Cardinals
- The Kats trailed for more than half of the first quarter, but a coast-to-coast layup from Oramas found SHSU with the lead for the first time in the game
- SHSU ended the first quarter on a 10-2 run to put the Kats up by 7 going into the second period of play
- A slow start for the Kats found them with just 4 points in the second quarter with 3 minutes left of play
- The Kats rallied for a late 8-0 run led by a 3-pointer from Walker coupled with an and one play from Baxter to put SHSU down by 2 going into the half
- A great defensive start of the second half for the Kats led to consecutive forced turnovers for the Cardinals
- Heavy full court pressure from the Cardinals sent them on a quick 13-2 run to put Lamar up by 12 midway through the third quarter
- Sam Houston again rallied and went on an 8-0 run to get the game within 4 points
- The Kats opened the final period of play on a 5-0 run led by a momentum changing 3-point play from Walker
- Sam Houston never trailed the Cardinals by more than 4 points in the 4th quarter and a 3-pointer from Walker tied the game with just 3:25 left in play
- Umaja Collins of Lamar came up big at the end of the game scoring on consecutive sets for the Cardinals to put them up by four with just 26 seconds left in the game
The Sam Houston State Bearkats look to bounce back against Nicholls on Wednesday, February 20th. Tipoff is set for 6:00 p.m.