THIBODAUX, La. – The Sam Houston State Bearkats held on in the first half but a late scoring surge for the Nicholls Colonels was too much to overcome as they fell, 84-81, Wednesday night at the Stopher Gym.
Sam Houston (13-11, 8-6 SLC) went into the fourth quarter leading by a bucket, but a late 11-3 run by Nicholls (15-10, 9-4 SLC) put the Kats on the losing end in a game between two teams fighting for a bye in next month's Southland Conference Tournament.
The Bearkats were led by Jennifer Oramas who scored 21 points and collected five 3-pointers along with five assists. Amber Leggett had 15 points and Lydia Baxter ended the night with 14 points. La’Sha Haynes led the team with 10 rebounds on the night.
Reigning SLC player of the year Cassidy Barrios of Nicholls ended the night with 17 points, 10 rebounds and 3 steals to lead the way.
- Sam Houston opened the first half of play shooting hot from beyond that arc and shot 46.7 percent, making 7-of-15, led by Oramas who collected four herself
- The Bearkats saw two players, Leggett and Oramas, in double-digits for scoring to end a 53-point half for the team
- Leggett started to get the shooting going for the Kats midway through the second quarter going 4-of-5 on her last five attempts
- Oramas sank back to back triples late in the second quarter of play to spark at 10-2 run for the Bearkats
- Leggett finished out the half with two made free throws to put the Kats in the lead going into the second half of play
- Oramas opened the half for the Bearkats with her fifth 3-pointer of the night, followed by scores from Dominique Maxwell and Jaylonn Walker to give the Kats a 5-point lead
- The Colonels answered with an 8-0 run to regain the lead midway through the third quarter
- Sam Houston led by two points going into the fourth quarter of play and Nicholls quickly tied the game with 7 minutes left of play
- Neither team could hold the lead that switched between the two teams four times in the second half
- Nicholls went on a late 11-3 run to take the lead that they ended up retaining for the rest of the night
- Kayla Konarik knocked down a 3-pointer with three seconds left in the game, but it would come too late for the Kats
The Bearkats return to action on Saturday, February 23 to take on the Houston Baptist Huskies at Johnson Coliseum. Tipoff is set for 4:30 p.m. and will be aired on ESPN+.