Friday, Dec. 14 • Huntsville • 6:30 p.m. • Bernard G. Johnson Coliseum (6,100)
Sam Houston State (5-3, 0-0 Southland) vs Oral Roberts (5-5, 0-0 Summit)
Live Stats • @BearkatsWBB on Twitter
HUNTSVILLE – With three straight wins under its belt, the Sam Houston State women’s basketball team will try to make it four in a row on Friday evening when they host Oral Roberts at Johnson Coliseum.
Fans can follow along via live stats, or watch the video stream on the Bearkat Sports Network’s YouTube page. Updates can also be found by following @BearkatsWBB on Twitter.
SERIES vs ORAL ROBERTS
The Golden Eagles lead the all-time series with the Bearkats by a 6-2 margin with Friday’s game being the first meeting between the teams since ORU left the Southland Conference after a two-year stretch at the conclusion of the 2013-14 season. SHSU went 1-3 in those two years vs ORU, winning in the team’s only meeting in Huntsville. This will be the Golden Eagles’ first trip to Huntsville since that 2012-13 league contest.
WHAT TO WATCH FOR
- Sam Houston will be looking to improve to 4-0 at Johnson Coliseum this year. It is the team’s first 3-0 start at home since the 2013-14 season. A win on Friday would give the team its first 4-0 start at home since the 2011-12 team opened up the year with wins in its first six games at Johnson Coliseum.
- Lydia Baxter’s 14-point, 12-rebound performance on Saturday was her second straight double-double and enough to earn her SLC Player of the Week honors. She enters Friday’s game vs ORU with 484 career rebounds and needs nine more to push her way into the all-time top 10 at SHSU. With 16 more boards she would become just the ninth player in SHSU history to accumulate 500 rebounds.
TAKEAWAYS FROM 68-62 WIN AT LOUISIANA
- The win marked the second straight non-conference road win for the Bearkats, the first time the team has won consecutive true road games in non-conference play since wins at Centenary and Grambling early in the 2009-10 season.
- The victory also gave the Kats their fifth victory this year, surpassing its win total from each of the past two seasons. With one more victory in its final two non-conference games, the Kats would secure a winning record prior to the start of SLC play on January 5 vs Abilene Christian. SHSU has not had a non-losing record at the start of league play since opening the 1995-96 SLC slate with a 4-4 non-conference record, and have not had a winning record at the start of SLC play since going 5-1 in their first six games of the 1993-94 season.
- The Bearkats hit 14 of their 27 shots (51.8 percent) from the field in the opening half of play.
- Sam Houston led by as much as 12 in the game, but found itself tied at 59-59 with 2:03 to go before scoring nine of the game’s final 12 points. Amber Leggett gave the Kats the lead for good with a 3-point play with 1:47 to go, and Oramas made all four of her free throws in the game’s final 20 seconds to ice it.